Safety Tips for Trick-or-Treaters, Iowa Halloween Trivia & Jokes!


Safety Tips:

*Walk, slither, and sneak on sidewalks - not in the street.

*Cross the street only at intersections or crosswalks.

*Use a flashlight to see better and to be better seen. Place strips of reflective tape on your costume.

*Travel in groups of four or five. Young children should be accomanied by an adult.

*Visit homes that have the porch light on, and do not enter the homes.

Artwork by TLC Artist Reyna, The Academy, IA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Halloween in Central Iowa

We have a strange tradition central Iowa that finds trick-or-treaters on the candy trail the night before Halloween. They call this night "Beggars' Night." I'm not sure where the name came from. But this is how I learned about Beggars' Night:

It was the night before Halloween. The door bell rang. Who could it be? We were new to the area. We didn't know anyone. I opened the door. Imagine my shock and horror when I saw expectant children dressed as Elmo and a Fireman! To further compound my confusion, the children didn't say "Trick or Treat." Instead, these little costumed cutties offered up a riddle:

"Why was the ghost crying?"

Huh?

"Come on... guess... why was the ghost crying?"

I'm still wondering why you're even at my door!

"Because he had a BOO BOO!!!!"

I quickly learned that another tradition in central Iowa is that you have to tell a joke of some sort in order to earn your candy.

So here are a couple of other Halloween jokes I found, if you ever find yourself in central Iowa the night before Halloween:

Why didn't the skeleton cross the road?
Because he didn't have the guts!

What do ghosts serve for dessert?
ICE SCREAM!

When is it bad luck to meet a black cat?
When you're a mouse!

What was the witch's favorite subject in school?
Spelling!

Where do baby ghosts go during the day?
Dayscare Centers!

How does a monster score a football touchdown?
He runs over a ghoul-line!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Sarah and I am 9 years old. I went trick or treating and collected over $100. My Mom rounded this up to $150 and we sent it in via the Red Cross link.

Sarah
Waukesha, WI

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Sarah! That's OUTSTANDING! You rock! :)

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine